Some of the links on this site are affiliate links.
The “prairie state” of Illinois boasts farmland covering 27 million acres. This accounts for about 75 percent of the state's total land area.
These impressive statistics are due to many of the state’s exceptionally high quality environmental assets.
Consider these facts about Illinois:
- Cold, fairly dry winters and warm, humid summers with ample rainfall allow the land to support many kinds of crops and livestock
- Much of Illinois is comprised of fertile flat land left behind by glaciers and wind millions of years ago
- About 89 percent of the state's cropland is considered prime farmland, ranking the state third nationally in total prime farmland acreage
- Prime farmland is a huge benefit because it provides an environmentally sound base for growing crops
- The central three-fourths of the state are especially valuable for growing crops, while hilly areas in the northwest and south provide excellent pasture for livestock
- The average size of an Illinois farm is 375 acres
- Illinois is a leading producer in the country of soybeans, corn and swine
- The state's climate and varied soil types helps farmers grow and raise many other agricultural commodities, including cattle, wheat, oats, sorghum, hay, sheep, poultry, fruits and vegetables
- Illinois also produces several specialty crops, such as buckwheat, horseradish, ostriches, fish and Christmas trees
|$15,000 To $25,000||View Investments|
|$100 (REITs)||View Investments|
Why Invest In Farmland?
The value of agricultural property grows independently of other asset classes.
There will always be a need for farmland. Population is rising and so is the need for agricultural products. The demand for food increases every year, and the available land for farming shrinks as it is developed for other commercial usage.
Buying Farmland In Illinois
Here's a few ways to invest in farmland in the great state of Illinois!
One option for browsing farmland in Illinois is by searching the current options at LandAndFarm.
Illinois includes nearly 100,000 acres of farms for sale based on recent LandAndFarm data. The combined market value of farms for sale in Illinois is $506 million, with the average price of farms for sale in being $867,955.
If you are looking to invest in shares of a farm, that is possible through online platforms like AcreTrader.
Here are the specs of a recent offering for Illinois farmland:
- Minimum investment $8,810
- Potential Return 8%
- Target Hold Period 10 Years
- Raised $1M
- Target Annual Net Cash Yield 3.3%
- Price Per Acre $8,810
- Acres 116
- Crop Type Corn & Soybeans
- Location Stark County, IL
AcreTrader is regularly updating its new offerings, so you can search for available Illinois farmland anytime!